3 March 2017

Vintage painted sideboard by Jonathon Marc Mendes


When I announced that Jonathon Marc Mendes would be my latest Painter in Residence on Monday, the response from you was phenomenal. If you are already familiar with Jonathan's work, I'm sure you'll be excited to see what he has created for his residency, and this incredible piece will surely not disappoint.

Inspired by Jonathan's love of typography, vintage signs, bygone circus and fairground imagery, this piece is beautifully crafted to create a sense of history.

Using Aubusson Blue for the main body, Jonathon used a variety of Chalk Paint® colours to create a rich, moody and slightly masculine colour palette.  I love the addition of Brass Leaf – it gives a real sense of faded grandeur. Lashings of Dark Chalk Paint® Wax over the paint just add to the story.


Jonathan expertly hand painted all the imagery and fonts you see here. If you want to create something similar, but are a little afraid of hand painting designs yourself, why not try my Image Medium? Transferring printed images is really simple if you know how, just take a look at one of my previous blog posts to find out how.


So what do you think of this Jonathan's first project as Painter in Residence? Has it inspired you to include typography in your own work? Let me know by tagging me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter: @anniesloanhome. 

Yours, 

Annie 

11 comments:

  1. OMG Jonathon you have surpassed all expectations AGAIN!! Stunning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathon has surpassed himself! Such an imaginative creator of individual design!!! I feel like he creates what I've always wanted see, when I didn't know what I was looking for! His pieces ooze style and an elegance that is so rare nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonathan never fails to create beautiful pieces. Detail, color, design - always wonderful - and this is no exception. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, I agree with all above!! Cannot believe he could surpass his previous work with such an outstanding, innovative piece. I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This piece is so inspiring for me, as I grew up in Excelsior, MN USA, where there was a beloved Amusement Park. My Mother painted several beautiful watercolors of the carousel, one of which the owners of the Park purchased from her. I am excited to start watercoloring again, as practice for my next piece in her honor. Thank you, Annie and Jon for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of you are my idols!!!! I so want to paint as you do and soak up every post I can!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just speechless! This piece is far beyond anything Jon has done before , Iconic and beautiful , just no words to describe how excited I am for him now ...... what an absolute genius and all round lovely man . Congratulations Jon . Love you so much xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great surprise to see that your latest painter in residence was Jonathon! His pieces always inspire, and I'm so excited to see the next project. Yea! Annie Sloan & Jonathon Marc Mendes! More fabulous ideas ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd have it in my house. Stunning

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the British seaside - and the kind of signage you only get there! It's full of nostalgia and this kind of thing would look great in a beach hut!!

    ReplyDelete